Monday, December 06, 2010

Grapefruits are ready

Share |
There are a few things I like about living in Florida.  My most favorite thing is being able to wear flip-flops (almost) all year round.  One of the next things that rank right up there is being able to have my own citrus trees.  It is with glee that I discovered this past weekend that my grapefruits are ready!

My tree is only about 4 1/2 feet tall.  I don't remember quite when I planted it, but I think it was about 5 to 6 years ago.  I was afraid it died the first year I planted it as we had a cold snap come through the first winter it was planted.  It looked really wilted for almost a year.  It has come out of it's shell pretty nicely and this year produced 15 grapefruits.

Believe it or not, my kids like eating them too.  The fruit off the tree from 2 years ago was their first time trying them.  I thought for sure they would find them too tart, but to my surprise, they gobbled them up.


Since I've only got a few this year, I'll be eating them as fruit.  In a few years when they're "coming out of my ears, I'm sure I'll be making grapefruit marmalade or something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from any and all with a comment, however I have had to moderate comments due to the amount of spam that was getting posted. Thank you for being understanding of my SPAM free zone policy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails