Monday, May 17, 2010

New resin jewelry making tool

Share |
I've been playing around with resin jewelry for a while now. I've had a lot of fun and enjoy reading about other jewelry artists and their adventures in resin jewelry making.


I've been reading about how different jewelers remove bubbles from their resin.  Some use toothpicks, others blow on the resin, but I had read about a few using a heat gun to get the bubbles to rise to the top.  I ended up buying this heat gun from my local Michael's craft store.  Ironically enough, I purchased it to make the class project for another jewelry making class at Gifts of Avalon I hope to teach over the summer.  While I was pouring resin a couple of days ago, I decided to give it a try to see what it could do for bubbles in resin.


I have to say I was thrilled with the results.  It almost works like a hair dryer, with a couple of differences.  There is only one temperature (fairly hot) and the end of the heat gun is smaller than a hair dryer.  You don't need to apply it for very long to see the bubbles rise up out of the resin.  (I stayed back about 10 to 12 inches or so.)  You also have to move quickly because there is a fair bit of velocity behind the air.  Wow!  It's one of those things I wish I had tried sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from any and all with a comment, however I have had to moderate comments due to the amount of spam that was getting posted. Thank you for being understanding of my SPAM free zone policy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails