Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Getting ready for art shows

Share |
I can't believe the summer is over!  Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it flew by this year.  As it turned the first of September last week, I realized that the Thornebrook Art Festival is next month.  Wow!  It's my first of my two art shows this year.  I used to do a lot more shows (about 8 or 10 every spring and fall), but for several reasons, I just don't do that many anymore.  I only do my local shows now (at least for the time being), to allow me to be closer to my family.

KMS Designs resin and acrylic jewelry art show booth
As I started thinking about everything I needed to do to get ready for this show, I thought about how I used to run around like the proverbial headless chicken trying to get things done.  Whether I'm wiser or less stressed, I don't know, but here's what I've learned:

  1. I will always run out of something.
  2. People come to look, learn and enjoy the conversation.  They don't want a sales speech.  (Good thing, I don't like giving those.)
  3. I like people to try on my jewelry.  It gives me ideas on what to do next.
  4. Art festival food is a lot like carnival food, crunchy, a little greasy, and glad I only have to eat it a couple of times a year.
  5. I can break down an art show booth like I'm on fire.  :)
  6. I can fit more stuff into a 90's model Ford Explorer than anyone ever thought possible.
  7. Location, location, location.  Important to setting up and getting customers.
  8. Ninety-eight percent of people who come to art fairs and festivals are nice and mean well.  I won't comment on the other two percent.
  9. I am glad I invested several years ago the thousand dollars to get a sturdy tent.  It has put me at ease on several bad weather show days.
  10. I will always need to use the bathroom when I have no one to help me and can't find a booth sitter.
Mark you calendars for Oct 2 and 3 for the Thornebrook Art Festival.  I'm at booth 15 (green zone).  As usual, I will have assorted jewelry pieces (last of the series, no longer make, etc.) on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from any and all with a comment, however I have had to moderate comments due to the amount of spam that was getting posted. Thank you for being understanding of my SPAM free zone policy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails