Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Photographing new jewelry

Share |
I have some new resin pendants using recycled Scrabble tiles.  I'm just now starting to list the first set of resin necklaces with cupcake designs, but I have lots more designs to list as well.  I love the look of these:  dainty, cute, unpretentious.  As much as I love the necklaces, I'm "unsettled" with the photography.

There are several aspects of my jewelry photography that I'm struggling with.  First of all, I'm having a hard time getting the true beauty of the pieces to translate onto a computer screen.  I've heard multiple times from customers that my jewelry is much prettier and nicer in person.  It's certainly meant as a compliment, but I also know that means my jewelry pictures just aren't that great.  I struggle with lighting, backgrounds, angles, and much more.  This is definitely one of those jobs that I would be happy to have someone else do on a regular basis.

I also struggle with using photoediting software such as Photoshop.  First, I'm a bit of a "purist" about capturing images of my resin jewelry.  I don't think it's fair to do much more than correct a wrinkle or adjust the contrast.  I don't want to manipulate images so much that it's completely computer generated.  Secondly, I just don't have a good grasp on using Photoshop.  Maybe if I was better at using it, I wouldn't feel so bad about using it to improve my jewelry photographs.

The important part in all this, is that I want to hear what readers think.  I want to hear your perspective as a customer, another artist, general fashion enthusiast, or whatever!  Do you like seeing the jewelry on the natural, beige colored stone?  Do you like a completely blank (white) background better?  Would you rather see it on a model?  How about the graduated light gray to dark gray background (see an example here)?  A fresh set of eyes might just help direct me on how to photograph my resin jewelry.

P.S.  If you're looking for the next post on the resin bracelet making process, I promise it's coming.  I decided to install a new piece of equipment to help me with the procedure, which I will talk about in the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from any and all with a comment, however I have had to moderate comments due to the amount of spam that was getting posted. Thank you for being understanding of my SPAM free zone policy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails