Friday, July 16, 2010

Making resin jewelry bracelets, Part 4

Share |
(Read part 1, part 2, and part 3 of the resin jewelry making process)



So the clear resin has cured for about 1 to 2 days.  I can add the color behind it.












To go with this set of papers, I am doing this batch in a medium pink.  I mix the resin just as I did before and pour it on top of the clear resin with the papers that have already cured.  I also pass my heat gun over the top to remove any bubbles that may have occurred.  In the past, I have had about 60 minutes to be able to work with this resin in its liquid form (also known as pot time).  For some reason, I have only had about 15 to 20 minutes here recently to be able to work with it.  I'm sure it's temperature and humidity related.  The resin is still curing properly, so I haven't been too concerned.


Once the pink layer of resin has completely cured, I can pop the pieces out of their mold.  If you look carefully at the edges, you will see there is excess resin that needs to be sanded.









If the resin is thin enough, I can trim the excess with heavy duty scissors before I sand and finish them.












This picture shows that there are two layers of resin to each bracelet link:  a clear top layer and a colored bottom layer. 










While tiny bubbles are to be expected in resin jewelry, the piece at left shows what happens if I don't get out the bubbles trapped underneath the papers in the clear layer.  This piece is headed for the scrap pile.  Darn!







The next step is to show some of the sanding and how I drill the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from any and all with a comment, however I have had to moderate comments due to the amount of spam that was getting posted. Thank you for being understanding of my SPAM free zone policy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails